The Crest of the Family of Hodson
The crest as engraved upon this Set of 18 Early Victorian Silver-Gilt and Bloodstone Dessert
(Fruit & Cheese) Knives by George Adams1
hallmarked London 1841 (17) and John & Henry Lias hallmarked London 1847 (1)
is that of the family of Hodson.
It may be blazoned as follows:
Crest : A dove close azure beaked and membered or holding in her beak an olive branch proper
Upon the balance of probability and without any evidence to the contrary this set of dessert knives
were at one time in the possession of the family of Hodson, Baronets of Holybrooke House,
Bray in the County of Wicklow in Ireland.
Given the date of the hallmarking they were probably commissioned/purchased by Sir George Frederick John Hodson,
the 3rd Baronet of Holybrooke House (born 25th October 1806 died 2nd April 1888).
He was the son of Sir Robert Hodson, the 1st Baronet and his second wife,2
Jane Neville, the eldest daughter of Brent Neville, of Ashbrook in the County of Dublin.
Sir Robert was created a baronet in the Baronetage of Ireland on the 28th August 1789.
Sir George succeeded his brother Sir Robert Adair Hodson, the 2nd Baronet upon his death on the 19th October 1831.
The Hodson family descend from The Right Reverend John Hodson, the Bishop of Elphin (died 14th February 1686)
who married Abigail Madden, the daughter of Robert Madden, of Donore in the County of Dublin.
1 George Adams, of Chawner & Co.
2 Sir Robert’s first wife was Anne Adair, the only daughter of Forster Adair, of Holybrooke, Co. Wicklow.
Presumably this is how the Holybrooke estate came into the possession of the Hodsons
Heraldry Courtesy of John Tunesi of Liongam
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
MSc, FSA Scot, Hon FHS, QG