The fig shaped bowl with remains of gilt to the
marked with a fleur-de-lys and 4 pellets in circular punch
(see Jackson's Revised, top of p. 523, for the mark on an
the tapering hexagonal shaft notched at the bowl,
marked with a reverse incuse R sided by 2 5-petaled roses
(see Jackson's Revised, bottom p. 524 for the mark on an
the reverse incuse R associated with Bristol (see p. 308,
Jackson's Revised for the mark on an earlier cup,
and with the five petaled rose, both in circular punches, on a c1620
The fluted baluster seal top attached with a provincial lap joint,
the finial top with remains of gilt and prick-engraved with “1612”,
and other worn now-illegible letters;
formerly with catalog/collection number bowl painted verso : 35.37 (numbers came off in polishing)
Condition : Excellent; lap joint clearly visible; excellent marks;
slight bend to the seal terminal
Much discussion exists about the use of
the fleur de lys in early British silver marking.
It is often associated with East Anglia, in
particular Bury St. Edmunds, where it remained
the sign over the workshop of the
principal Bury St. Edmunds for over 100 years.
Because of the change to a lower grade
for silver coinage ordered by Henry VIII in 1544,
many English goldsmiths began
using French coinage to produce their wares.
The fleur de lys therefore could refer
to purity as well as town or area.
However, most East Anglian spoons referenced
had a slightly different fleur de lys shown.
See below for Jackson's Revised marks, "Wales and Unascribed English Provincial",
as shown on earlier seal top spoons.
Although Bristol is known to have been making
silver with "divers touches" since 1423, few pieces with
definitely attributable Bristol marks remain. "A number of spoons of the 17th century are struck in the
bowl with conjoined BR and on the stem
with either a star or 5-petaled flower mark." (Jackson's p. 307),
hence the Bristol attribution for this
6-3/8" Long / 1.4 oz.
(Images are large format for viewing purposes)