M. FORD CREECH ANTIQUES & FINE ARTS
GOOD PAIR OF EARLY GEORGE III SILVER CLUSTERED-COLUMN CANDLESTICKS
William Cafe, London, 1768
Crested for the Dukes of Gordon
With Jacobite Interest
A truly impressive design reflecting the 17th century Huguenot clustered column candlestick,
having a sheet silver standard raised on a cast base,
the standards with five banded columns below cast upright acanthus sconces
and removable French gadrooned sconces,
each cast cinquefoil base with acanthus decoration within a gadrooned border
and an oval boss with engraved Gordon crest and motto,
the crest and motto engraved en suite to each bobeche :
Crest : 'A Hart's Head Couped ppr.', and Motto : 'Dum Sisto Vigilo'
As characteristic of this type of mid-18th century candlestick,
the standards are pitch-filled and bases covered, in this case inset with carved fitted mahogany covers
Condition : Excellent; clear marks to each footrim; each bobeche with lion passant only;
each base crest "boss" slightly dented in; light dents elsewhere on base;
without breaks, splits or repairs.
Provenance : Formerly at Letterfourie, (built by Robert Adam) Morayshire,
and by descent through the Gordon family*
12" High / The Foot, 6.25" Wide
PRICE : Please Inquire
Showing above and below, each bobeche with crest and motto : A Hart's Head Couped ppr.', below 'Dum Sisto Vigilo'
Showing each base with an oval raised boss engraved with crest and motto :
A Hart's Head Couped ppr.', below 'Dum Sisto Vigilo'
Each base with custom carved mahogany insets; each bobeche with lion passant mark
*LETTERFOURIE HOUSE, Morayshire, Scotland
For the Dukes of Gordon, by Robert Adam
Letterfourie House is a Georgian house in Moray,
built by Robert Adam and completed in 1773.
Its main block has three main storeys,
with a raised cellar that opens onto the shaped water gardens on its south side.
It was designated a Category A listed building in 1972.
Letterfourie House was built as a home for two bachelor brothers
from the Gordon family to retire to upon their return to Scotland.
James Gordon was a wine trader who had established himself in Madeira,
Alexander had been a Jacobite who had been forced to flee Scotland
for a time following the Battle of Culloden.
They commissioned Robert Adam to build the house;
work started in 1772, and it was completed in 1773.
It was the first house Adam built in Scotland after returning from his Grand Tour,
and the Sir John Soane's Museum holds Adam's original designs for it.
As the Gordon brothers were staunchly Roman Catholic,
and the house was built at a time when Catholics were not permitted to worship publicly,
the house was designed to include a private chapel and accommodation for a priest.
Letterfourie was known as a 'safe house' during the Act of Proscription
(for the more effectual disarming the highlands in Scotland),
identified by a 'white rose in the garden',
which, it is believed, also marked the location of an escape passage.
The reel "The House of Letterfourie", also known as "Lasses look behind you'",
by William Marshall of Fochabers, is named for the house.
Also See :
TRANSFORMATIONS : 'FROM THE MOUNTAINS'
We welcome and encourage
all inquiries regarding our stock. We will make every attempt to answer any questions you might
information, call (901) 761-1163 or (901) 827-4668,
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
American Express, Mastercard, Visa and Discover accepted
M. Ford Creech Antiques & Fine Arts / 581
South Perkins Road / Memphis,
TN 38117 / USA /
Wed.-Sat. 11-6, or by appointment
Early Asian Ceramics
Pair Early George III Silver Clustered-Column Candlesticks, William Cafe, London 1768, Crest & Motto, Dukes of Gordon, Letterfourie
© The images, concepts and text herein are subject to copyright.
Should you wish to reproduce any part of this site's content, simply request permission.
We also ask that any reproduction be attributed properly.