The round tapering silver handles of Puritan form, each with arms seal engraved to the ends; six with mid-18th century scimitar II blades marked GIBBS; six with modern
stainless replacement scimitar blades (the 6 removed 18th century carbon steel scimitar II GIBBS blades present and quite
usable); (the original blades would have been carbon steel and
slightly tapering with a short point to the tip); most with legible
maker’s marks TS a bird below within a shield (mark found on
small porringer, 1667-8, Jackson’s p.127; trefid spoons of
1682,1684, 1686; maker listed as “unidentified”
Viscount Strathallan, 17th Earl
of Perth, Stobhall, Perth, Scotland
Both shields are for Henry Neale and his wife
Anna Maria Hanbury of Freckenham, Suffolk. Henry Neale bought
Allesley Park, near Coventry, Warwickshire in 1692 and in due course
served as Minister of Parliament for Coventry.
The shield with the lion in the left half and the diagonal
bands in the right half suggest that Anna Neale had brothers and/or
a father alive at the time the knife terminals were made. (6) The
shield bearing diagonal bands on an inner shield mean that Anna's
father and any brothers were no longer alive and that she has become
her late father's heiress. (6)
Sothebys, London, 19th November, 1964, to How
(Of Edinburgh Ltd).
How (Of Edinburgh Ltd), London, 30th November 1964, to The Earl of
Perth, Stobhall, Perth Scotland
Stobhall has been the ancestral home for the
Drummond family since 1397.
Its illustrious history is a strong Jacobite one,
with whom the Drummonds sided. It
has been the home for romance and the
to all the future sovereigns of
and the United Kingdom., been confiscated by the Cromwellians
Civil War, sheltered Bonnie Prince Charles, and
seized by the British Crown.
It is with great pleasure that we offer these rare
table knives from this collection.
\ Lengths : 10.75" (with Gibbs Blades) / 9.75" (with Replaced
Weights : Each at 4.6 oz (with Gibbs) / 4.8 oz. (with
(A RELATED SET OF 6 17th CENTURY PURITAN KNIVES FROM STOBHALL AVAILABLE)