M. FORD CREECH ANTIQUES & FINE ARTS
   

 

PAIR GEORGE III SILVER COLUMN CLUSTER CANDLESTICKS

John Carter II, London 1770

Crest & Motto of Landgrave Thomas Smith & the Smith Families

of South Carolina

 

 

 

 

Each slender tapering column cluster stem surmounted by acanthus-leaf decorated urn-shaped capitals with shaped gadrooned detachable bobeches, raised on sloping square bases, the corners with further acanthus leaf decoration, gadrooned footrims;

the bases and bobeches crested with a greyhound sejant, gorged and chained,

below the bannered motto FIDEM SEVABO (I Serve Faithfully),

crest and motto Landgrave Thomas Smith and Smith Families of Charleston, South Carolina

 

The first Landgrave Thomas Smith (1648-1694) came from England to South Carolina in 1684 with a grant of 650 acres. In 1687, he married the widow Sabina de Vignon, thereby becoming the owner of Medway and one of the wealthiest men in the Province of Carolina. In 1691, he was made a “Landgrave” (county nobleman), and in 1693, was appointed Governor. He died in 1694 at age 46 and is buried at Medway Plantation. His coat of arms was found on his ring, dated 1671, with which his son, Thomas Jr. sealed his own will.  

 

Of interesting note : from Smith’s prior position in Madagascar, he knew of rice and wished to experiment with it in marshy land at the western edge his garden. Quite by coincidence, the captain of a distressed vessel from Madagascar, anchored near Sullivan’s Island, inquired for his “old acquaintance”, Mr. Smith.  Upon request during Smith’s onboard visit, the captain’s cook provided a small bag of rice, which was, planted, grown, and distributed among his friends – thus beginning the rice industry in Carolina and the Americas. 

 

In 1770, the title of Landgrave was held by Henry Smith (b.1727, d. 1780).

 

Condition : Excellent, with only very minor expected dents; one bobeche, crested en suite, by Solomon Hougham, 1806 (possibly from another similar set as the crest is slightly smaller - see images below).

 A set of 8 Corinthian column candlesticks with plinth pedestals, John Carter II, 1771, was made for nearby Middleton Plantation owner Arthur Middleton, and has recently rejoined to the Middleton Plantation collection.

 

12-5/8” High

 

SOLD

 

#6436 

 

Please Inquire

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Heraldry Courtesy of John Tunesi of Liongam

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

 

 

We welcome and encourage all inquiries.  We will make every attempt to answer any questions you might have.

 

 For information, call (901) 761-1163 or (901) 827-4668, or

Email : mfcreech@bellsouth.net or  mfordcreech@gmail.com

 

American Express, Mastercard, Visa and Discover accepted

 

 

  Bookmark and Share

 

 

M. Ford Creech Antiques & Fine Arts / 581 South Perkins Road /  Memphis, TN 38117 / USA /  Wed.-Sat. 11-6, or by appointment

 


 

 

Accessories     Ceramics     Early Asian Ceramics     Fine Art     Furniture     Glassware     Silver     Home

 

 

Pair George III Silver Column Cluster Candlesticks, John Carter II, London, 1770, crest of Landgrave Thomas Smith and Families, Charleston, South Carolina